Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Catch Up Time

Where do I start? I'm so behind on blogging it's not even funny. Been pretty busy at work and what can I say, laziness plays a big role too.

On July 10th, Karen, 細V, Gootoe and I finally made an attempt to go to Niagara on the Lake and complete that wine tour Karen and I've been talking about for months. It was a whole day trip, starting with breakfast at On the Twenty, then Cave Spring in Jordan, then Southbrook, 大山行, some lavender farm, Pilliteri, Stratus, then Tim Hortons (LOL), some little shops in Niagara on the Lake, then Peller and finally Inniskillin. We left Inniskillin just as they closed, at 6:00pm, and went to have dinner at The Keg overlooking the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. That was neat! After a short walk after dinner, we headed home. Good thing it was Karen that drove, otherwise I would have fallen asleep behind the wheel (like I did a few times when driving Gootoe home). Finally got home at 2:00am and passed out.

Ice and dessert wines were mainly the highlight of the tour, probably because no one really cared which wineries we visited and so I picked the ones I wanted to see. Southbrook is one I really like and ever since they've moved from their Major Mac and Bathurst location, I wasn't able to get the wines that the LCBO didn't carry. Their new vineyard and winery at NOTL is very modern but unfortunately, the front of their building looks like it's under construction with the blue "hoarding" around it. So much for design that I don't know how to appreciate, LOL.

I really liked the ultra modern look of Stratus, a smaller winery next to Jackson Triggs (we didn't even bother with JT). Nicole and Nathan had lots of fun chasing butterflies and running around in their vineyard.

Apparently, Pilliteri and Inniskillin both renovated so they don't really look like old fashioned cellars anymore. My favourite cabernet franc from Inniskillin was on sale so I just had to pick up a bottle!! Otherwise, I made sure I bought wines that weren't available at the LCBO/Wine Rack.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My 戰利品's:
  1. 2008 Southbrook Triomphe Cabernet Sauvignon (organic)
  2. Sonoma Smoked Olive Oil
  3. 2006 Inniskillin Cabernet Franc ice wine
  4. 2008 Stratus Riesling ice wine
  5. Southbrook Cassis
  6. Southbrook Blueberry
  7. Southbrook Blackberry
  8. 2005 Southbrook Vidal ice wine
  9. 2004 Pilliteri Cabernet Franc ice wine
  10. Vineyard Pantry Blue Cheese Dijon Mustard (front)

No comments: