Jul.23.10 - 4:48pWhat an eventful day so far! This morning started off at 4:15a when I just could not sleep any longer so I got up to finish blogging the previous day's events and tried to figure out where Tinlop and I would be headed for the day. We left at about 5:45a to head over to
Tsukiji Market 築地市場. Since we didn't get there to line up at 4:30a, we couldn't go watch the great tuna auctions so we just wandered around the market looking for fresh fish for breakfast. I was disappointed to not find a single live fish at the market, but rather a lot of dried and pickled stuffs instead. Not to mention I was looking forward to eating live squid! Poo! We wanted to try out this recommended sushi place inside the market called Sushi Dai 寿司大 but the line up was out the door and then some! Plus breakfast at 3,600Y (over $48CAD) is just a teeny bit harsh for us frugal vacationers. Although I would have loved to try eating at a place where you don't have plates (eat off the bar) and the fish looked soooooo fresh! We opted for uni chirashi instead and it only cost 1,600Y. By the time we left the fish market, it was just after 8:00a.
We took the subway to a very deserted Ginza 銀座, walked up and down 2 blocks, decided we were not going to be able to stand the nasty heat (yes, at 8am!!) until 10am when the stores open, so we left and went to Asakusa 浅草 to do some massive touristy things like gawk at the big lantern at
Sensoji Temple 浅草寺. There are small little booths selling souvenirs, yukatas, shaved ice etc. leading up the path to the temple along which we overheard very many free walking tourists speaking our very familiar dialect of Chinese. After melting a bit in the 9:30a sun, we left for the 鴨記 of Tokyo: Akihabara 秋葉原. This is the area to be if you want the newest and greatest in J-technology. Mind you, I didn't go see the innovations at Sony or Honda, but ended up in several electronic department stores just browsing. Did I mention it's hot here? After a quick kaiten sushi lunch near the JR Akihabara station, Tinlop and I decided to head back to the hotel and stay out of the sun for a bit. (5:58p)
Jul.23.10 - 10:37pLeft again at 7:30p to go see what it's all about to be gay in Tokyo by heading to Shinjuku Nichome 新宿二丁目, the hood to be if you're interested to see gay men of all ages... uh, ya. We saw a
very old couple, like I mean
OLD. Kinda weird. 四仔冇格仔 on posters of doors and sex shops... of men... hmm weird... the area wasnt' exactly bustling yet at the time so Tinlop got really bored so we left for the other place in town to be: Kabukicho 歌舞伎町. Now contrary to its homosexual counterpart, this hood was REALLY bustling with activity, BUT Tinlop got tired and hungry so we ended up walking to the nearest department store to get some last minute deals on cooked foods. I ended up with 6 slices of a really good snapper for 330Y and that was pretty much my dinner. Had some of the Choya 黑糖 plum wine I bought last night (super sweet) and Tinlop passed out. (10:49p)
No comments:
Post a Comment