Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quaken by a Shake or Shaken by a Quake?

Us Torontonians felt a magnitude 5.0 earthquake earlier this afternoon and I thought it was me!! I was sitting in the office talking to a co-worker when I noticed my chair rumbling and my monitor shaking. Apparently, the epicentre is just north of Ottawa so we had our share of the shake. Although more nerves were shaken than buildings, people actually evacuated their workplaces. Just 10 minutes after the "tremor" we got an interoffice email telling us what to do in an environmental emergency. LOL~ Then came the "what to do during a tornado" email 10 minutes later. Yep, tornado warning is in store for us today as well. First an earthquake, then a tornado... sigh... life in TO!

I heard about the high winds this morning on the radio, but didn't expect it to be a tornado warning. I'm worrying about my tomato plants on my balcony now. Being two feet tall, I'm more afraid of them flying over the balcony than being torn out by the winds, although I'd really like them to survive! I stuck two arrows in them this morning to hold the plants up during high winds, but if they fly over the balcony, those arrows can really hurt. Hopefully the winds won't be too bad, or I shall have to move my planters inside for the night.

No comments: