Saturday, September 6, 2008

好食到飛起 vs. 難食到嘔

Today, I trekked all the way to J-Town from work to pick up some green wasabi tobikko but to my dismay, the former fish market moved and the new one didn't carry any. What they did carry was mentaiko 明太子 at approximately $7.50 per slab (about 3-4 inch piece) and UNI!! As I haven't had uni in a while, I decided to pick up a tray for dinner. Just looking at the trays and trays of uni made my mouth water. I ended up choosing a tray that looked fresh and decent.

So after picking up some mooncakes at T&T and driving home, I anxiously waited while the sushi rice cooked and cooled. I carefully laid the uni on top of the seasoned sushi rice and eagerly dug in. Doesn't it look good?

People weren't kidding when they say looks can be deceiving. I don't think I've had uni that tasted this bad in a very very long time! No, it wasn't spoiled, it tasted muddy. Yep, felt like I was spooning in mouthfuls of mud. Quite yucky if you ask me. I think I might have had two pieces that actually tasted like uni. Boy what a disappointment.

I recall one of my favourite TVB food-related dramas "A Recipe For The Heart 美味天王" where 關詠荷 and 古天樂 had to make curry chicken on rice for a competition. The scoring was 好食到停唔到口、好食到飛起、好食到痺. There was also a score of 難食到嘔. Well, I think my uni rice scored the latter. =(

No comments: