Monday, July 9, 2012

Not Much Luck

Lately, CLM has been munching on his fingers, fist, or rather, anything he can get his mouth into and drooling uncontrollably.  I'm guessing he's starting to teethe, which explains his crazy lack of a decent sleep schedule.  Unfortunately for me, he went from waking up once per night to feed to an average of three times (every 2-2.5 hours) and THEN he refuses to go back to sleep!  On a good night, he'd stay awake, wanting to play for two hours and on a bad one like last night, he cries on and off for at least two hours before falling asleep...at like 6am... like O.M.G.  Not talking, not making eye contact, keeping lights off, etc. obviously does not deter him...sigh.  So for the last few nights, I've had all of 1.5 - 3hours of sleep.  Crazy!  Not to mention he takes his sweet time nursing too!  From 20 minutes before to at least 45 minutes now.  It's like he's a newborn all over again.  Worst thing is, I'm so awake by the time he finally falls asleep that I can't go back to sleep myself and as soon as I do, he's awake again :(  I wonder if this is what people call the four month sleep regression (that lasts until when?).

Besides not sleeping, CLM now does the following things (aka developmental milestones):
  • Drools a LOT
  • Chews on Sophie, his fingers, his fist, my fingers 
  • Still pulls his hair and ears when he's fussy and upset
  • Reaches for his feet and occasionally sucks on his toes if he can get at them
  • Rolls from side to side when we change him (making it quite the challenge)
  • Still doesn't know to fall asleep by himself
  • Pinches me in all the places that hurt, like the underside of my arm - ouch!
  • Sticks out his pointy tongue and keeps it out, lol
  • Sits up by himself for a little bit before falling head first forward, haha
  • Starts to recognize people but will still allow himself to be carried by "strangers"
  • Super nosy, especially during feeds.  Turns to look at everything.  I can't tell if he's more efficient at eating or if he's just so nosy that he shortens his feed time.  I guess since he's generally quite a happy camper after his feeds that he's probably just efficient.  I hope. 
  • Kicks his feet when he's lying down
  • Loves to stand
  • Can keep himself occupied with certain stimuli until he gets "bored"
  • Did I mention he's super nosy and drools a lot?

Pointy, just like daddy's

Solids
After poor CLM's oatmeal allergy the week before, we let him rest up a bit before starting him again on rice cereal.  Although he shows interest in our food (he keeps drooling and smacking his lips when he sees us eat) he definitely doesn't seem too interested in rice cereal!
  • Day 1, July 3 - barely ate a few spoonfuls.  By 6pm, projectile vomited not twice but three times :(
  • Day 2, July 4 - spat out more than he took in (diluted with his saliva)
  • Day 3, July 5 - cried every time the spoon came within 2cm proximity to his mouth.  All smiles once spoon is taken away.  He probably ate 1 teaspoon worth
  • Day 4-6, July 6-8 - clamped his mouth shut most of the time, but with someone holding his arms down and me being persistent, probably got a few more baby spoonfuls into his mouth (文生's mom blames it on CLM not being hungry enough - darn, doesn't this sound familiar?)  I swear, if one more person questions whether I have enough milk to feed CLM or even remotely suggests that I supplement with formula/solids, I am going to lose it.

Yeah, take that!

I have this weird feeling tonight's going to be another loooong one.  This post took three hours to write and CLM woke up four times already... I should really head to bed.

Photobucket
Week 27!  Still on track!

On the other hand, I've finally decided to retire CLM's 3-6M clothes as it's been a while since he's been snugly fitting in them.  Babies really do grow fast!

1 comment:

可可 said...

Aiya. Curtis is not letting mommy rest! I feel for you about the comments and CLM not eating. That was by far the most frustrating and discouraging experience for me! But then it also taught me the most about Evan and his personalities too.

Many mommies told me they also tried for weeks (Evan tried for a month) before having success to feed. Some babies have preference over spoon size and shapes, some have preference over food temperature, some over taste.

Not sure if I told you, but I finally tried the baby-led-weaning method, getting Evan to feed himself green beans (I was scared to death he would choke even after boiling the green beans for 30min.) It was afterwards that he realize he could swallow solids. I learned he didnt like that I stuck the spoon into his mouth, but he must explore on his own. I later let him hold onto a spoon when I feed him, and he was eating fine. Who would have known.

If he is really not eating after several days of trying, wait for a few days before trying again. Let Curtis and yourself take a break together. Add oil Add oil! Hope little Curtis will chow down food prepared by mommy soon!