Saturday, July 14, 2012

Curtasee, 點解你唔瞓呢?

I thought what all babies did were eat, poop and sleep.  Not my CLM!  He eats, he poops (boy, he poops) but he does NOT sleep.  See, I don't mind waking up several times a night to feed IF he goes back to sleep.  What he does now is wake up for a feed and then stays up.  Sometimes it takes me two hours to get him back to sleep, only to have him wake up an hour later.  我就嚟癲啦!  For the last few days, I've noticed that he no longer falls asleep in the car, stroller, bouncy chair (though he rarely fell asleep in it), not with a pacifier (again, he rarely did anyway), not when rocked, and get this: sometimes not even when nursed.  O.M.G.  Hell breaks loose now.  I can't even feed the bad habit :( not even if I wanted to.  What have I done?!?

So that's nighttime.  Now daytime naps are another story.  In the last few days, CLM napped a maximum of 2 hours.  All day!  and when I say maximum, I mean maximum.  Like, at most.  Today, he napped for no more than an hour.  Ten minutes in the morning, forty minutes in the afternoon and ten minutes in the early evening.  So much for 5-month-olds needing 3 naps totaling 4-5 hours and 9-11 hours at night.  I'd be lucky if he sleeps 6 hours in an entire day.

With efforts to put poor sleep-deprived CLM on a better sleep/nap schedule, I've started a consistent bedtime routine this week.  Although I know I won't see immediate results, I didn't expect things to go downhill!  In attempts to get him in bed by 8:30pm, I start his bedtime routine roughly around 7:30pm.  First with a bath, then story, some songs, then nursing.  This boy just will not sleep!  He starts off all nice and relaxed, happy, giggly then all of a sudden, hell breaks loose and he starts wailing.  I can't keep him in his crib, my bed, anywhere!  Of course, I then give in and let him play (happily) until he starts crying again at around 10:30pm before I nurse him again, to sleep.  So people say, just try to put him down earlier, before he gets too tired and overstimulated.  Sigh...yes, I know...blah blah blah...easier said than done.

Contrary to freaking older generation beliefs, keeping babies up during the day DOES NOT lead to better sleep at night.  SO!  Since CLM napped for all of an hour today, slept crappily last night, had crappy naps the day before, I can pretty much predict that shit will hit the fan tonight.

Now, do I hear a little bitterness you ask?  You betcha.  I'm running on fumes, my poor CLM is not getting enough sleep and then I have people harping down my back telling me what I should be feeding my son?!? and this time it's water.  Like really?  Why not milk?  Because milk's 88% water anyway and that's not good enough?!?  What's so magical about water that you have to insist I give it despite me telling you over and over again it's not necessary?  Is there a nice way to um, say...FACK OFF?!?

/vent
/rant

Now I need some wine...

No comments: