Sunday, September 23, 2012

An Apple a Day


Last week I saw on FB that a friend of mine took her kids apple picking.  I usually dismiss those "fall" type photos as I really don't want to remind myself that winter is just around the corner but the word Gala caught my eye.  I love Gala apples (and Fujis)!  Now I know for a fact that Mar Mar loves picking apples and we haven't gone in ages, so I suggested we go this weekend.  As I guessed, she was totally excited!  Especially since there is no admission fee (just the admission fee alone for nearby orchards for four of us would have been enough to purchase half a bushel of apples - and that's a lot of apples).  Only drawback is: the orchard is in Bowmanville.  Which I thought wasn't that far.  Well, it's not that far.  Only forty minutes east on the 401.  East of Oshawa.  Ooooops.  Haha~!  We went anyway!

The day started off really gloomy (and rainy) but good thing by the time we got there the rain had stopped.  The sun came out just as we were leaving so the weather was actually perfect for us!  A little muddy, but very comfortable.

My faves - Royal Galas

The rain on the apples just make them look THAT much fresher!

The farm was picking McIntosh, Cortland, Empire, Gala apples and just started the Red and Golden Delicious ones this week.  Mom and I aren't fans of tart apples, so we skipped the Macs, etc and went straight for the Goldens first, then the Galas and finally the Reds.  Unfortunately, the Galas were the only ones that were ripe enough to be really sweet and we found the Red Delicious' to be a little tasteless still.  Mom thinks they need a few more weeks on the tree.

We ended up with mostly Galas (I'm not complaining) and loaded up a whole bushel worth of apples.  All was fine and dandy until one of the bags broke and our perfectly fresh apples are now either brutally bruised or injured!  Noooooooooo!!!  We can't possibly eat so many at once!  Especially since we "sampled" close to a dozen and a half of them already while picking.

I had a feeling it would be a bad idea to bring the stroller for CLM so we brought the carrier.  It was great since CLM kept me warm for the most part.  But of course, since he was also warm and fuzzy, he slept through most of the apple picking.  Oh well, next year!

Photobucket
Crazy sleep patterns again this week.  Yup, broken record, I know.

It has really started getting cold this week.  I get up for my morning shower and have the "OMG it feels like winter" chills so I know it's time to pack away the summer clothes and bring out the sweaters and long sleeves.  文生's friend gave CLM a gift cert for Jacadi so we decided to use it since it was a whopping $100 one.  Little did we know that a freaking onesie costs $79!  I absolutely refuse to spend that kind of money for something that CLM will wear for only 2-3 months!  So we ended up getting a sleep sack...OMG we still had to pay $76 extra.  That place is so expensive... maybe we should have just given the gift cert to someone else...

肉都赤埋...

No comments: