Monday, July 18, 2011

Foodie Weekend

The weather's been great the last few weeks. I'm really enjoying the sunshine and the feeling of summer! EXCEPT, I haven't been able to stay in the heat for any longer than a few minutes before feeling like I need to pass out! Aiya~~!!

Since June, there's been something going on every single weekend in the GTA and will last until Labour Day: Ribfests, night markets, street festivals, Taste of the , Pride Parade, CNE, etc etc. On Friday, 文生 and I went to check out the larger-than-ever Night It Up 夜市 that conveniently moved from Metro Square to Markham Civic Centre. Wah, the amount of people! Unfortunately, we arrived at about 8pm and the event was completely packed to the extent that you'd be lucky if you could order something within an hour. While things looked authentically Taiwanese, they sure didn't taste right! Sigh... We saw a booth for some HK style stinky tofu and decided to have some before we tackle the Taiwanese style ones but what a mistake! I was so disappointed! Later, the lines got even longer and you couldn't even move in the isles so we just decided to leave. So, after some fried tofu, 四川涼粉, bbq squid legs, Malay pancake and 雪花冰, a disappointed and grouchy me left for dinner at 半畝園.

Nasty HK style stinky tofu! Nothing more than just plain FRIED!

Looks authentic enough, but looks can be deceiving! (and proved to be!)

Now this, doesn't even LOOK good :(

Saturday rolls along and 文生 knew I wanted my stinky tofu fix, so he took me back to First Markham to have 美濃刀切牛肉麵's version of Taiwanese 臭豆腐. Now that hit the spot! Not to mention, their noodles are pretty good too!

台式臭豆腐 @ 美濃刀切牛肉麵

Sunday saw us having a spur-of-the-moment dimsum date with 可可, her 蜜糖兔仔, 林B, 細V and Gootoe. Since I wasn't close to being full after lunch, we trekked over to 許留山 for dessert. OMG, FMP 3 days in a row... nasty.

1 comment:

可可 said...

Hahaha. Ka and I work next to FMP, so we were there on Friday, and there again today.

Our record was to eat there 4 times a day. :) At least they have some decent restaurants there.