Monday, September 13, 2010

JP inspired!

Last night I finally got my act together and finished scrapping my Tokyo trip from July. I thought, with my opening coming up next week, 現在唔完成等到幾時? Done! I'll give myself a pat on the back since I finished the page in record time, haha~

Funny, people tell me once you come back from Japan, local JP food just doesn't taste the same so you'd end up having less of it since you have no comparison. Sigh... all I've been wanting (except the odd poutine craving, of course) is JP cuisine!! Had sushi more than enough times in the last 6 weeks, including 2 visits to Inatei in 8 days (hefty!).

Last week, I decided I wanted to make 銀だら西京焼き but didn't realize I had to marinate the cod for 3 days! The damn piece of frozen fillet cost me $12 (not even a pound of fish) and the sake I bought to marinate it was $10! Sigh...anything for good food I guess, keke. I finally yaki'd it on Saturday. It was a tad salty (over marinated at 4 days, haha) but tasted yummy! Polished off every little bit of it!

Sunday rolls along and I go out with Mar Mar, leaving 文生 at home to study, and I remembered that live scallops are on sale at T&T @ $5.99/lb! Being disappointed last time that T&T had a $5.99 scallop sale and all I saw in the damn tank was water, my hopes weren't exactly high as I marched up to the fish section. WAH! The tank was FULL! Kwaakakakka! I secretly tsk'd at the guy that was hogging the tank, but patiently waited (with an impatient look on my face) as he finished weighing his stupid scallops. Then there was this lady that was taking her sweet little time picking what, like 6 of them?!? Picked one up with tongs, gingerly handled it with 2 fingers, shook out water, decides it's not big enough, repeat the above... sigh. I thought to myself: 揀女婿咩! I went right up against the tank and decided, the hell with the tongs! Dove right into the water with bare hands and picked up 6 huge lively scallops (ah yes, they were clammed shut alright) and by the time I was done weighing, that lady was still picking!!! Sheesh! $20.01 for 6. Huge they are. Just as big as the ones I had way back when.

Kinda big eh? Filled up the all the space on my cutting board.

Miso ホタテ焼き was what became of these monsters. Boy I was a happy camper last night. Even the hour long cleaning (ya, for the 6 damn things) wasn't that bad. Had to double up on one of the shells during yaki-ing since all of them didn't fit on the pan, LOL!

Now I'm thinking about the green tea and lychee panna cottas I had at Inatei. I think I'll make them tomorrow...keke.

No comments: