Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cooking Marathon

Yesterday, I was blog-browsing and came across a funky recipe for pulled pork. I skimmed through it and decided it was easy enough to give it a try lor...

The fun started when I went to Promenade Mall to pick up the spices and the meat. After spending less than $10, I came home with 5lbs of boneless pork shoulder and 7 different spices. The cooking marathon took off with me making pizza for dinner. Eh, that was simple enough. The interesting part was preparing for the pulled pork. Wah....大工程 lor...

By the time I was ready to start making the spice rub, it was already past midnight so let's just say I had to give it to 文生 for staying up with me to 陪我癲. =p The 癲-est part was manually grinding 3 tablespoons of black pepper. Wah....that took forever! Yes, I was stupid enough to make the same mistake again thinking it wouldn't take very long to grind up some peppercorns so hence I didn't pick up any ground pepper at Bulk Barn (I must have saved all of 80 cents). After combining the 7 spices, salt and freshly ground pepper, I ended up with this:

Nine spices and an hour later ...

... only to use a measly 3 tablespoons of it in the marinade! We made the brine solution and dumped it all onto the pork and sealed it in 2 bags for it to sit in the fridge overnight. My mouth was watering because the spices smelled so yummy and my arms were tired from grinding pepper. That damn pork better be good!


Little did I know, it was already 2am! 文生 passed out on the massage chair while I made lunch for today. Yep, more cooking! In record time, I managed to make curry chicken with 上海白 on rice. Note to myself: bad idea to make curry at 2am. Actually, bad idea making curry at home, period. My place reeked of yun doh ga lay for an entire day!! If it was Japanese curry, it wouldn't be so bad, but damn, real curry tastes good but smells nasty in the house! I finally crashed into bed shortly before 3am.

The cooking marathon continued tonight, as soon as I got home, when I took the pork out of the fridge and prepped it for the oven. I stuck it in at 7:26pm and currently, at 1:13am, it's still roasting. Hopefully it'll be done soon because I'm dead tired!

All prepped for slow-roasting, ya, reaaaally slow

The marathon continues...

Still going after six hours

No comments: