Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Bug - My Baby!

My 2-month-short-of-10-year-old Y2K bug has been pretty good to me since I've had it (my first baby!!) and since 8 weeks ago, I've been taking my poor baby to the mechanic almost every week.

Patient History
Aug 9 - "shaking" at 120km/hr, engine light came on, diagnosed as cylinder misfire possibly caused by exposed wires - insulated wires
Aug 16 - "shaking" again at 120km/hr, engine light on again, diagnosed as same cylinder misfire - insulated wires some more
Aug 22-27 - went to Rome so didn't drive
Aug 29 - same problem - changed wires altogether
Sep 9 - car "threatens" to stall on idle/low gear, shaking, engine noise, engine light came on, problem will happen daily in the morning, then go away after a few blocks of driving, diagnosed as a different cylinder that misfired - replaced Mass Airflow Sensor
Sep 12 - noticed all three AC power outlets are malfunctioned, door chime doesn't work - car thinks doors are closed when they are open
Sep 17 - car actually stalled a few times on idle/low gear, more shaking, more noise, more blinking engine lights, diagnosed yet another cylinder misfire - replaced spark plug wire
Sep 25 - shaking still, more lights (even I'm getting bored of this), more noise, problem goes away after a few blocks of driving again, but this time get this - the engine light actually turned off and stayed off!

So, after 2 agonizing hours of research on the great net, I found that I'm not the only one with the problems and I may invest in an inexpensive VAG COM cable to connect to my car so I can diagnose the engine codes on my own, keep track of what's wrong and compare it to what my mechanic tells me. Then...

... I bring my baby to the mechanic again first thing in the morning

What a way to start my weekend...ai~

No comments: