Sunday, April 12, 2009

天然うに使用

When I first saw the package of chips at 叮噹, I did a double take. I looked again and sure enough what I thought I saw was right...UNI!!! Uni flavoured chips!! What else will the Japanese think of? Being a huge uni fan, I decided to give it a try. Just to be sure I wasn't going to be ripped off by some "Made in China with Japanese writing" product, I checked to see that it was indeed made in Japan. I unwillingly paid three bucks plus taxes for this 50g bag of uni chips but eagerly went home and tore it open in front of my computer while watching my TVB series.

BOY WAS I DISAPPOINTED!! It tasted nothing like uni! -_-" Imagine chewing on shrimp chip flavoured cardboard. Yes, not even shrimp flavoured, but shrimp chip flavoured. I examined the packaging a little more and noticed: 天然うに使用. Puzzled by the lack of uni taste despite using "natural uni" in the product, I looked at the list of ingredients. でん粉 (澱粉)、 植物油脂、えび (蝦 so they used shrimp, hence the shrimp chip taste)、うに風味パウダー... AHA!! The key is this: うに風味パウダー uni flavoured POWDER!!! Even more disappointed now that I got ripped off by a Japanese product, I kicked myself for not taking the time to read the packaging a little more carefully.

So, $3.38 short and a lesson learned. -_-"

No comments: